Good for You and for the Environment
We all love what is natural.
Our dream was to develop a light and strong roof, which has a natural appearance.
At GERARD these special roofs, which are coated with natural volcanic stonechips, are available for you.
Natural also means good for the environment:
GERARD steel tiles are 100% recyclable.
7 Steps the Stone Takes from the Volcano to Your Roof:
1. The chip granules are selected for their hardness, durability to water, UV and acid rain resistance. They provide both an attractive appearance and protection of the tile.
2. We have the stone granules crushed to their size specifications to make sure those natural stones look best on your roof.
3. If the natural colours of the rock appeal to us, we keep it and trust you will like it too.
4. When we need to add more colours so that you can easily find the best match to your house we coat the natural volcanic stonechips with a ceramic finish. For a durable and colourfast coating we use heat resistant and UV stable pigments. To have the most beautiful result possible we apply inorganic lightfast pigments at our AHI Roofing tile manufacturing plant.
5. The pigments are fused onto the granules at 700°Celsius with a silicate (glass) and clay binder system to ensure quality and beauty for the decades to come.
6. After the colour is selected and the stonechip is sized they get applied in such a way that we ensure excellent coverage over the whole body of the tile. This complete and even coverage is a feature carefully monitored by our well trained inspectors and operators.
7. Finally, a gorgeous looking protective layer puts the crown on every single GERARD tile: the overglaze. It is a clear coat that has been developed to provide a robust surface to reduce damage during installation while being resistant to the extremes of the weather.
While the chip has an attractive colour range, it is virtually all matt in appearance. In addition, while the chip is well bonded to the tile by the basecoat, the latter continues to harden for up to six months after manufacture
The acrylic overglaze applied to the final coat of the tile improves both of these factors. The tough, thin film flows between the chips into the basecoat, and dries to give a clear “water wet” gloss to the chip.
Cannot wait to pick your favourite volcanic colour? Go to: GERARD Colour Chart